Saturday, October 16, 2010

Book: If You Have To Cry, Go Outside

It's been a pretty mellow Saturday for me, what about you?

I may have mentioned before that I love to read - I mostly read young adult books (even though, yes, I am really not part of that category anymore), classics, and chick lit. I'm not really into the whole autobiography kind of thing, but Kelly Cutrone's book is a different kind of autobiography.


First off, Kelly Cutrone is "a fashion publicist and the founder of the public relations, branding and marketing firm People's Revolution. Cutrone is known for her no-nonsense approach to the industry, and her brutal straight-talking. She is best known for her appearances on 'The Hills' but has said that she and her People's Revolution partners mute their personae somewhat for the cameras. Kelly now stars in her own reality drama 'Kell on Earth'".
Kelly on The Hills with Lauren Conrad and Whitney Port

I'm really happy that I read this book - it's kind of like a "life manual" in many ways. She really does share a lot of life lessons in her book. I learned a lot about her that I never would've guessed happened to her.

Watching The Hills, Kelly Cutrone seemed to me like a really scary boss, but reading this book, I felt that she's not. She's just really a straight to the point, no BS kind of person. Did you guys know she bakes cupcakes for her employees, and likes to be called Mama Wolf? Yup, she does.


If you get the chance to grab or borrow a copy of this book, I hope you get to read it. But I know that a lot of us are really busy, so I thought I'd share with you guys quotes from the book that made an impact on me.

"Dreams don't always take you on a straight path to destiny, but they're usually related to what your soul wants for you."

"Sometimes, if not most of the time, you find out who you are by figuring out who you are not."

"... the world will change only when we change ourselves. And that starts with finding ourselves: learning to quiet the clamor in our minds and the voices of everyone around us and move toward what feels right - toward the things we know, for reasons we can't explain, that we're meant to do, the things that make us feel alive."

"... you can't fake hard work, and [that] when you believe in something and truly go after it with all you have, amazing things will happen."

"After all, you can't truly be happy if you've never known pain. You can't truly feel joy if you've never felt heartbreak. You can't really know what it feels like to be filled unless you've been empty."

"Sometimes in life, seasons don't come in order; instead of fall, winter, spring, summer, we get three winters in a row. But that doesn't mean spring won't come eventually."

"This is an important thing to remember when you're having a bad day, a bad month, or year: Things will change - you won't feel this way forever. And anyway, sometimes the hardest lessons to learn are the ones your soul needs most."

"You can't have a sense of victory unless you know what it means to fail."

"... you have to give up your life as you know it to get a new one: [that] sometimes you need to let go of everything you're clinging to and start over, whether because you've outgrown it or because it's not working anymore or because it was wrong for you in the first place."

"I followed my fears to their worst possible conclusions... and what I realized was that no matter what happened, I was going to be fine."

"Your negative thoughts are weeds strangling the progress of your soul; you must find a way to kill them."

"The unavoidable truth is that in the real world things don't always come in order we're taught to expect them."

"When life deals you blows, there are blessings to be found in them if you look hard enough."

"If you don't know exactly what fits into your life and what doesn't, the best way to figure it out is to follow your inner voice away from what feels wrong and toward what feels right."

"... things that seem perfect rarely are..."

"The people who succeed are... the people who respond to rejection by brushing themselves off and moving on, again and again."

"... getting good at something requires consistency and repetition. There is no other way. With few exceptions, you will get out what you put in."

"... you also have to learn where to draw the line. Take on as much as you can and soak up as much as you can, but learn to say no when the situation demands it."

"My mistakes have been some of the best teachers of my life."

"We aspire for a knowledge truly knowing, for a power truly powerful, and for a love that truly loves."

"... none of us can change the world alone. We need to help each other, or at least get out of each other's way."

:D

*images from Google*

---------------------------------------------------------------
On another note, you can visit http://www.freebeautyevents.com/ and enter your zip code to find out what makeover, gift with purchase, spa open houses and sampling events are happening near you. And you can sign up to follow the site on Facebook and Twitter. In addition to listing in-store makeovers, Freebeautyevents.com also features a blog on product reviews (http://www.freebeautyevents.com/beauty-blog) and a monthly contest http://www.freebeautyevents.com/contest.

For the month of October ten winners will receive a University Medical AcneFree Sport Clear 2-Go Skin System. You have until October 31st to enter and winners will be chosen on November 5th.

For Pennsylvania and Virginia residents, Prestige Cosmetics will be at college bookstores with a free basket raffle for Prestige products and free makeovers. In December, Coty will be at Rite-Aid throughout Pennsylvania and New York to promote their holiday fragrance gift sets.

I hope you have a great Saturday night, and a restful Sunday! :D

42 comments:

  1. ohh! I love books and I love reading them. I haven't read 'If you have to cry, go outside' book. thank you for the review. I'll try to go and grab the book from the book store one of these days. yaay!

    karlaforonda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. karla-- let me know if you do get to grab a copy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am glad to hear she has more of a heart than they portray her to have :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SassyAgapi-- yup, she actually sounds like a nice person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. my sister said it's really funny! so it's next in line on my must-read books! :D

    Carrie
    http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie-- yep, she's right, it was funny! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks so good!!! I just love the quotes too, especially the one about the seasons. So true and so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That book sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She sounds like a very clever and wise woman!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have yet to read "If you have to cry go outside" - the title is very thought-provoking - I would rather cry indoors rather than out of doors - but I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed reading it. Have a happy Sunday;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems like a great book! I always liked her on the hills (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, these are great inspirational quotes! Good choice, Mimi! I especially like the one on how we sometimes have 3 winters in a row, but spring will come eventually! I felt like that a lot lately! :)

    ~Caro~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quotes. Very inspiring =] Yehh kelly realy freaks me out because of watching the city and the hills lol x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Mimi, this was a great read, very inspirational. Thank you for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a classic case of "Don't judge a book by it's cover!" How fitting she has a book :) Very interesting and I will check it out. I too love to read, my time machine and money tree I have seem to misplace!!

    Hope you have a few spare moments today :)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mimi! Thanks for stopping by my blog and thanks for the advice. I really like the quotes from the book that you posted, and I think I might buy the book now! Thanks for the uplift, I totally needed it. :)

    xo
    Sophia Caris

    www.keptprep.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved Kelly's book it has such great advice and I'm kind of considering going into PR so that was interesting for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really want to read this! I can't believe all of those amazing quotes..thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love chic lit and young adult books because it's easy to read and very lovey dovey...:D Altho I have not read any in the last year or so (trying to be an adult you see). I need some new chic lit books ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love 'Kell on Earth" and I love biographies...definitely going to check this out

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have heard SO many amazing things about this book - I definitely need to check it out. Great review, my love!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My friend loves this book! She lives by it. She's always saying, put ur big panties on and deal with it. I'm like hush it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i plan on getting this for christmas! ive heard only positive things about this book. im dying to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always loved her on The Hills - I should check out that book!

    xoxo ~ Courtney
    http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a great inspirational book, I think i might have to put this on my list of books to get.

    Kelly x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh yeah I've heard about this book before! Thanks for posting those quotes, I loooove quotes (=

    Thanks for the website, I'm definitely checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  27. She makes cupcakes for her staff?Wouldn't have guessed that from seeing her on 'The City'

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mimi!! I was too busy with exams the past week so I haven't been blog hopping. sorry :(

    anyways, OMG! I actually used one of Kelly's quotes from the book for my latest post then I read this entry of yours, I was like "wow!" I don't even know if I'll call that coincidence haha but it was cool that we were both thinking of Kelly for our entries. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  29. hey everyone! thanks for your wonderful comments! i hope you get to read this book, it's great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks and sounds great Mimi!I will keep it in mind! I am so far behind on reading, I need to make more time!
    Smoochies
    gi gi

    ReplyDelete
  31. gi gi-- aw, i hope you find some time to do that! kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm interested in reading this book. Thanks for all the quotes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. Edwina-- you're welcome! hope you get to read it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love Kelly Cutrone and had no idea she has written a book. Thanks for the post, I'll definitely be checking it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sara Louise-- you are very welcome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for doing a post on this. Ive seen her before on the E! Channel I think but never knew she had a book out. Im gonna try to get it. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  37. Venus in Virgo-- you're welcome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great quotes, thanks for sharing!:D

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com

    ReplyDelete