Friday, August 31, 2012

Food Network Friday: Labor Day

Yay for Friday!
 And yay for the long weekend!!!

Labor Day usually marks the unofficial end of summer, and because of that, I'm sure the air will be filled with the smell of delicious grilled everything, haha! ;)

My Mom asked me to make a menu for Labor Day, and this is what I came up with:

1. Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Salad

Total Time: 5 minutes
Level: Easy

Ina takes a classic salad and seasons it perfectly with good olive oil, salt, and pepper. 
For an eye-catching presentation, purchase tomatoes in yellow, orange, and green hues.

Such beautiful colors!!!


pasta caprese contributed by the bidens for party
Total Time: 45 minutes
Level: Easy

Campanelle pasta is mixed with heirloom tomatoes, basil, lemon juice, and zest... as well as fresh mozzarella cheese for a refreshing side, ideal for a picnic.

Chunks of mozzarella cheese = yum!

3. Grilled Pork Tenderloin With Corn On The Cob


Total Time: 1 hour
Level: Easy

Rub pork tenderloin with paprika, brown sugar, and other spices, then grill the meat to perfection before drizzling it with a brown sugar and ketchup sauce.

Ohmygosh, I want to eat this... RIGHT NOW! :)


Dijon Chicken Wings Served for Graduation Lunch
Total Time: 1 hour
Level: Easy

Make a glaze of Dijon mustard, honey, mustard powder, and garlic to make deliciously sticky wings.

Would a picnic be complete without chicken wings? Nope! ;)


sweet minted tea was refreshing addition to party
Total Time: 1 hour
Level: Easy

Make a mint syrup for Sunny's sweet tea that is refreshing with any cookout menu.

Sweet tea is my drink of choice for the summer!

***from www.foodnetwork.com***

Do you guys have any plans for the long weekend?
Are you cooking? Which of these five recipes would you like to try the most?

I wish all of you a wonderful Labor Day weekend!!! :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. I have two giveaways for you guys right now! Please do enter if you haven't already. :)
Mile End Bakery Giveaway: Win a dozen cookies of your choice! Open to U.S. residents only. Ends 9/12.

Like What Mimi Writes on Facebook and be friends with Mimi! :)
Twitter? WhatMimiWrites :)

31 comments:

  1. Wow, yummy! I'll be saving these recipes, maybe we can make some before we leave for June Lake tomorrow. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these would be perfect for that, i hope you guys can make some of these recipes! :D

      Delete
  2. mmhhmmmmm they all look so yummy!!! especially the salad... I'm a sucker for anything with the basil+tomato combo XD
    Don't have anything planned for the long weekend... besides studying. But I do want to try out a few new recipes :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. basil and tomato are so perfect together! i hope you get to try some of these over the weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. Labor Day weekends are so much fun. There's just so much to do and it's a great time to spend with the whole family. This is a great menu. I'm a pasta monster so that Pasta Caprese looks really yummy to me. Also, the grilled pork tenderloin is making my mouth water right now. Hope you have a great weekend! :D

    Win a $50 gift card to Cutieshey Clothing! Enter here. :)
    Want a pair of Lens Village Circle Lenses? Come and join my giveaway!


    :)
    Carrie
    http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i totally agree! and haha, the pork tenderloin looks sooooo delicious! ;)

      Delete
  4. wow..! Mouth watering..
    Enjoy Labor Day..

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the first one!
    can't wait to see you on my blog!
    www.faashiongeek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hungry right now! Hehe. Enjoy your weekend, Mimi! :)

    another day to wander

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so yummy! Hope you are having a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, everything looks so delicious. I love pasta and tomatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohmigosh this all looks so incredible, Mimi! I seriously want that salad in the first picture!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome menu! I'm going to have to try the caprese...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This food looks delicious! And I haven't ate anything yet so it's making me very hungry! The pasta caprese and the pork tenderloin looks yummy! But what about dessert? Its a crucial part of any menu! Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohmygosh, i can't believe i forgot about dessert! :O thanks for reminding me, tasha! ;)

      Delete
  12. Looking at this post made me so hungry! It all looks so delicious!

    I hope you're having an awesome long weekend! We don't celebrate Labor Day now in Spain (we do it on May 1st), but the beggining of September is also in some way what marks the end of Summer... and my return to work (ugh!).

    I found your blog today while jumping from blog to blog. I don't even know how I arrived here, but I'm glad I did, because it looks like I'm really going to enjoy reading your posts (I love blogs about daily life). I'm your new follower :)

    Laura
    http://rainydaysandstardust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi laura! welcome to what mimi writes! i'm really, really happy you stumbled upon my blog! :D

      Delete
  13. Sweet Minted tea sounds Yummy !

    skylersmom11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your food post keep them coming !!!

    xo

    http://abullettothehead.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the food pics!!!! Looks so good. :)

    xo - Sheila

    If you have time, please come by and check out my blog and maybe follow?

    http://sheislovely1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. food network has really awesome food pictures! and sure, i'll check out your blog. :D

      Delete